School Security to Reassure Students

Sgt. Veihmann speaks at Sophomore Assembly. | Photo by Mia Perez.

Mia Perez, Editor

For many students, there is no end to the anxieties that can arise from returning to on-campus learning. In light of recent events especially, the most unfortunate of these lies in the lingering doubt among students, parents, and staff that the security measures taken to prevent an on-campus tragedy leaves something to be desired. 

“The actions to ensure our safety aren’t enough,” senior Arianna Hunt said. “It gives us false hope.”

It has taken the efforts of school districts across the country to brainstorm ways to not only reassure the public of the effort to protect students, but to prioritize, legitimize and guarantee it. 

“Students are worth protecting more than anybody else, so all security measures are going to go toward making sure our students are safe,” on-campus officer Sgt. Ty Viehmann said. “Without a safe place to learn, you don’t learn.”

Methods of reducing crime and violence in schools have ranged from phrases such as “see something, say something” to the complete ban of items and substances which have been deemed harmful or have played a role in classroom-based terrorism in the past. 

“The district is going to be installing security systems that will detect weapons, vapes, THC and other things throughout all schools,” Viehmann said. “With the way society has become since Columbine and the first shooting, security is not to hurt, but to protect.”

If these measures do not prove sufficient enough on their own, on-campus officers themselves aim to soothe these concerns by establishing strict surveillance throughout the school day and opening their doors to anyone with questions concerning the validity of the security measures they have taken.

“Our main goal here is the safety and security of all students and staff.” Officer Pendleton said. “We train on how to best approach the situation whether it be an active shooter or someone who has barricaded themselves in a classroom.”

Students can do their part in preventing a dangerous learning environment as well by practicing mindfulness in worst-case scenarios. It is for this reason the school district organizes several scheduled drills for all CCISD schools to practice and execute accurately. 

“We perform how we prepare,” officer Viehmann said. “The more you think about it now, the less you have to think about it later.”

However, while there is a general consensus that it is the personal duty of every person who plays a role in a school environment to preserve it and keep it safe, there is an understanding among faculty and staff that students should never feel the need to sacrifice priority and focus in learning for concern of threat.

“There is an equal responsibility to an extent,” Principal Scott Walker said. “As a student, you’re expected to be in class, and your job is to learn. It’s more of our responsibility on the adult side when it comes to safety. What we signed up for is to make sure there is a safe environment for all students. It is a partnership.”