Seeing in Color

Science teacher gifts students with color corrective glasses.

Bethany Trevino, Staff Writer

On Monday, December 2, 2019,  Science teacher Mrs. Sabina Maza gifted two of her students, Brody and Brennen Bellows, with a pair of color corrective glasses. 

“We have done many many activities in which they [her students] have to look at light and color… and color whatever you see and look at the color of the flame,” Mrs. Maza said. “Basically they [the brothers] were just sitting, looking at everybody talk about the colors and they weren’t able to do anything and I wasn’t able to do anything for them either.”

The Bellows brothers both suffer from a type of color blindness called protanomaly which is a reduced sensitivity to red light.

“Strong Protan, it’s like dyslexia for color blindness.” Sophomore, Brody Bellows said.

Mrs. Maza came across the color corrective lenses and figured it would be a good opportunity and tool for the boys.

“Over the break I came across this website on color corrective glasses and I just thought it would be really cool for them [the boys] to have them [the glasses].” Maza said.

Mrs. Maza took her thoughts to Facebook in an attempt to try and make the idea she had into a reality.

“I just asked my friends on Facebook “wouldn’t it be neat to surprise the kids for christmas?” and then a lot of people replied “I will support your cause, just start a gofundme” so I did.”

This response inspired Mrs. Maza to start a gofundme so she could raise enough money to buy both of the Bellows boys a pair of corrective glasses. The amount of support she received and from whom she received it from was amazing.

“Within two days I got enough money to buy both kids the glasses,” Maza said. “It was a lot of science teachers from other schools and other campuses across the nation and even complete random people.”

Mrs. Maza consulted with the mother of the Bellows boys to ask for permission to gift them the glasses and also to ask what type of color blind deficiency the boys have to ensure that she got them both the right type of color corrective glasses. 

“I had to call their mom to make sure I would get the right glasses.” Maza said. 

Mrs. Maza decided to surprise the boys and give them their gifts during class. She even went as far as getting colored balloon and putting up a color wheel in order to add to the experience. 

“I was grateful that I got the glasses,” Bellows said. “ It was a surprise at first, so I wasn’t expecting it.” 

After receiving the glasses the boys were taken outside to test out their color corrective lenses and to experience seeing new colors outside of the classroom environment. 

“You get to see it from a whole new angle,” Bellows said.

Receiving the glasses was an exciting experience for the boys. They were able to see things with new eyes and experience colors in a way that they’ve never experienced before. 

“I just want to thank Mrs. Maza and everyone who donated.” Bellows Said.