Students Asses Readiness With Mock Testing

Shae Fox, Staff Writer

Mock testing has taken place almost every day for the past couple of weeks. The purpose of these tests are to give students the experience of a real test so that when testing day comes around, they know what to expect.

Along with experience, mock testing can have other benefits.

“I personally think the purpose of mock testing is to get rid of testing anxiety,” junior April Gause said. “I know for a fact that it helped me in that way.”

Though mock testing is supposed to benefit students, some feel that class preparation is enough.

“I have talked to many people who think mock testing is a waste of time, and to some degree, I agree– but not entirely,” Gause said. “It would be pretty nice if it was optional and not forced.”

The mock test shows the tester just how much endurance is required to perform well.

“It’s one thing to say you can write one FRQ,” AP Human Geography teacher Jacob Dryden said. “But sitting there and writing three questions in a row in a time of 75 minutes is bringing a different skill set that is important to see in a mock environment.”

Each teacher has their own way of working with the results from the mock to better the performance of the student.

“I make my students set up a meeting to go over their FRQ answers– their free-response answers,” Dryden said. “Also, even as early as later that day, some students have their multiple choice answers.”

From the mock, students are able to see which ways they need to improve.

“I show them the actual test itself and then it will include any and all potential answers for the FRQ question,” Dryden said. “It demonstrates that maybe they need to explain more, typically, and these are ways you could have explained it.”