Wrestling team makes the podium at State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cory Utsey, Editor-in-Chief

Eagle Wrestlers continued  their success at the UIL 5A State Wrestling Championships in Houston.

With six Eagles who competed , the girls team finished in seventh place, which was the highest finish for teams in Region 4.

Junior Natalie Villegas finished in third place and senior Jackie Ghent won her second State Championship, making her the first wrestler in CCISD history to be a State Champion two times in a row.

Based on each weight class, the top 16 students in the state compete against one another, with the top four from each region advancing. Head coach Ed Arvin cites the competition as difficult, but believes that the students performed adequately.

“Overall, we wrestled well,” he said. “It was a great experience for our kids. Anytime you go to the state tournament, it’s a big deal. And anytime you can place at a state tournament, it’s a big deal.”

Although wrestlers compete individually, Arvin believes that the teamwork off the mat is what secures the victory on the mat.

“Even though wrestling is an individual sport, you can’t excel individually if you don’t have a good team around you,” he said. “We’ve created a team that has high expectations. We challenge each other in the mat room, we challenge each other in the weight room, and I think that the legacy that has been left by these seniors is going to be one that continues to grow and pushes kids to successful in everything they do.”

Ghent feels that getting the State Champion title was a great way to end her senior year.

“It was probably one of the most bittersweet moments of my life, just because after I won, I realized that that was going to be the last time I’d ever wrestle at a high school match,” she said. “It was a heartwrencher, but it was tears of joy. A little bit of sadness, too.”

Having recently committed to Campbellsville University in  Kentucky, she is excited for her future.

“The best part is probably that I know I am going to be challenged, especially in that new environment,” Ghent said. “I know that mat room is going to be a tough mat room. We’re going to have some of the best girls in the country training in there, and I know that it’s going to be a scrap every single day, but I’m excited to get better.”

With wrestling being both a physically and mentally demanding sport, Ghent hopes that her fellow teammates never sell themselves short.

“They shouldn’t set goals that are attainable, and achieve them, but only have achieved them because they were attainable,” she said. “I think they should set far-fetched goals because that’s where a lot of people mess up. You have to set high goals for yourself because nothing is too far-fetched.”