The Wrestling Team Defeats the Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shae Fox, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, on Dec. 1st, our wrestling team competed in San Antonio at Churchill High School.

Wrestlers are organized into classes of other wrestlers around their same weight.

“The way tournaments work is there are fourteen weight classes for the boys and their are ten weight classes for the girls and each weight class has its own bracket that it follows throughout the tournament,” Ghent said.

Because the wrestling coach, Donald Arvin, is also a football coach who traveled to San Antonio for the football playoff game on the same day, the wrestling team took fewer people to the tournament.

“There was five of us- three girls, two boys,” Ghent said. “We were small in numbers, but we definitely put up a quality performance overall. Four of us got first and one of our girls got second.”

Individuals are ranked in their respective weight classes,  and whole teams are ranked overall.

“For girls teams, since there’s ten weight classes, a full team has ten girls,” Ghent said. “We only had three girls and our girls team placed third, with three girls.

In order to prepare for tournaments, the wrestling team spends a lot of time rigorously training.

“Wrestling is really intense and we can have varsity football players vouch to that.” Ghent said, “They’ll come in after season and they’ll go to wrestling practice either for the first time ever or for the first time in forever and it hits them hard.”

However, physical skill and strength are only half of the battle. The wrestling team works on the mental aspects of their sport as well.

“We spend, as athletes in general, we spend an inordinate amount of time on the physical stuff,” Arvin said. “Yet if you ask anybody, they’ll tell you that the mental aspect is 95 percent of the battle. We focus a lot on mental toughness, on overcoming adversity, on being focused.”

Mentally, wrestlers strive to have power over everything that is in their control.

“[You have to be] able to go onto the mat with the attitude that, ‘I can’t control what the official’s going to say or not say or call or not call. I can’t control what my opponents going to do or not do. I can control what I do, whether I’m aggressive. I control my offense, my defense,” Arvin said. “All of that plays into that mental part of the sport.”

Through this mental and physical training, each wrestler intends to become a new wrestler by the end of the season.

“The goal is to have each individual improve because if everyone improves, the whole team improves,” Ghent said.

They hope that from the mastery of wrestling comes the mastery of life.

“Wrestling is a microcosm of life,” Arvin said. “If you can learn to deal with all the different things you can deal with heartbreak, you can deal with exhilaration, successes, failures, pain, deprivation. Everything that you’ll have to deal with in life, you deal with in a small way, in wrestling.”