Student Defines The Limits Of Makeup-Part 1

Shae Fox, Staff Writer

Care to Go Bare is the VMHS Newspaper’s first annual campaign, made by high schoolers, for high schoolers. Participants get interviewed and receive an article in the school newspapers featuring their thoughts on various issues. This year is focused on makeup and its correlation with self esteem. These individuals also may receive a photo shoot showcasing their natural beauty and their makeup artistry.

The articles come out biweekly. Polls available on Instagram and Twitter present questions pertaining to each article for measurable effectiveness.

Makeup is applied for many reasons. People wear makeup to cover blemishes. People wear makeup to express their creativity. Some people wear makeup to, simply,  look nice.

In sixth grade, beginning to wear makeup was a fluid and natural process for freshman flute player Cat Martinez.

“My mom was just like ‘Oh, there’s this new mascara, try it’ and I was like ‘okay!’, and my aunt works for Dillards, and she got all this makeup, and she would bring it and give it to me, so I just had it there,” she said.

Though makeup is a part of her daily routine, in certain scenarios, Martinez feels comfortable without makeup.

“If I’m not going anywhere important where there’s gonna be a bunch of people, then I feel fine- if I’m just going to my aunt’s house that’s fine with me,” Martinez said. “But school, church, parties- stuff like that- then I’ll put on make-up”

Within the VMHS band, Martinez’s application of makeup is controversial because many students believe that she looks the same with and without makeup, despite having five bags of product to work with.

“I put on ten pounds of make-up, but I always make sure that it looks natural because if not, then I’ll look like a drag queen,” she said. “The reason I say it’s ten pounds of makeup is because I put on everything but not excessively. It’s not going to be a line of contour with fifteen colors on your eyelids, drag queen eyelashes- that kind of stuff, I wouldn’t do that.”

She thinks that the deceptive reputation of makeup is absolutely ridiculous.

“Boo, I don’t have gold eyelids with like glitter on my face, Hello!” she said. “What do you expect? No, duh, sherlock.”

Martinez is passionate about not taking makeup to the extreme.

“If you’re  going for a natural look, don’t make it look heavy,” she said. “If you’re  going for a glam look, also, blend out. No drag queens, Hello! Unless you are a drag queen, in which, I appreciate you. Your work is great”

From middle school to high school, Cat Martinez has used makeup to enhance her natural beauty for the enjoyment of herself and those around her.